In my work, I focus on the parts of website technology that end users see and interact with. Accessibility, performance and user privacy are key to me.
Front-end code should not just be good for users, it should also works well across organisations. So excellent documentation, good commit messages and maintainable code are also super important to me.
I started out studying Artificial Intelligence, but ended up getting a bachelor and master’s degree in Philosophy. How it relates to front-end work? Abstractions!
- Under Discussion: The Current State of Web Accessibility, about accessibility (Welcome to the Jungle, 7 January 2020)
- How accessibility leads to better digital products for all customers, about the advantages of accessibility (Contentful, 14 December 2020)
- How art direction in web design creates more engaging experiences, on how CSS helps art direction on the web (EditorX, 4 April 2021)
- My idea for Web We Want (I would like browsers to fix accessibility problems automatically) won both the jury and audience awards, presented at View Source in Amsterdam in 2019
- From 2008 to the first quarter of 2017, I was a volunteer at Fronteers, organising conferences, meet-ups and workshops.